Dept. Of Anatomy, GMC Nagpur
-Welcome
-History
-Teaching Staff
-Non-teaching Staff
-NOTICE For Students
-Results
-Syllabus
-Embalming Duty
-Link list
-Gallery
-Contact

 

 

Establishment : 1946

 

Head of Department of Anatomy

Name

From

To

Dr. Sahastrabudhe

23.12.46

01.12.55

Dr. S.L. Robert

01.12.55

28.03.61

Dr. P.C. Bansal

28.03.61

01.04.62

Dr. P.L. Dubey

01.04.62

14.06.76

Dr. S.N. Bhargava

14.06.76

20.09.80

Dr. K.S. Gawhale

20.09.80

01.12.85

Dr. G.M. Indurkar

02.12.85

30.06.86

Dr. K.S. Gawhale

01.07.86

15.05.87

Dr. T.L. Patil

15.05.87

30.11.90

Dr. Mrs. M.M.Joshi

01.12.90

30.04.93

Dr. V.M. Sathe

01.05.93

29.02.99

Dr. Mrs. K.A. Rangari

01.03.99

30.06.04

Dr. Mrs. K.G. Palikundwar

01.07.04

10.01.06

Dr. M.P. Parchand

10.01.06

to till date

 

History of Government Medical College & Hospital, Nagpur

 

During the pre-independence era Nagpur was the Capital of central provinces and Berar state which included the part of the present Madhya Pradesh and Vidarbha.Nagpur was the one of the major center not only for the communications and market, but also for the education. An independent University was created in the year 1923, and was called as Nagpur University. The first hospital came into existence in Nagpur in 1862 and was known as'City Hospital'. The school of medicine was started around the same time. The hospital was named after Lord Mayo as Mayo Memorial Hospital.

 

Nagpur had one medical school under the control of Nagpur Education Board, which was started in 1914 known as Robertson Medical School, which was named after Mr.Robertson (a joint commissioner of central provinces). It was conducting diploma courses of L.M.P. & D.M.P. However there was no institute available for the higher studies in medicine, in whole of the state and in central India. The govt. of C.P. & Berar had made arrangements for he higher medical education partly in GS (KEM) Medical college, Bombay and Nil Ratan Sorcar Medical college, Calcutta. The facility was unfortunately available only to 10 to 12 students every year. There was a constant demand and desire of the students of this region to have an independent Medical College in this region.

In the year 1943 the working council of Nagpur University appointed a committee to explore the feasibility to start a medical college in the central provinces. The committee recommended positively but due to second world war this recommendations could not be implemented. As soon as the second world war was over the govt. of C.P. & Berar took the firm step of appointment of Colonel A.N. Bose as the principal of the said college. He was entrusted with the responsibility of starting the basic departments of the Anatomy and Physiology in the proposed medical college.

 

In June 1946, the Government of C.P. and Berar requested Dr. Jiwaraj Mehta, the then Dean of G.S. Medical college, Bombay to suggest a suitable location for the proposed medical college. He studied various locations around Nagpur and selected an open ground opposite Rajabaxa. While justifying the selection of the present site he said he had specially considered the population of the needy and poor residents around the area. The land was belonging to Lt.Col.K.V.Kukdey the then Chairman of the Nagpur improvement trust, who offered the land for this noble cause. Within few months of beginning of the college, the construction work was started on 2nd January,1948.

 

The first batch was admitted in July 1947 but actually the students were admitted to L.M.P. course in 1946,these were the students from Nagpur and Sagar universit,The selection criteria was merit in inter science grade and an interview. Since there was closing of L.M.P. course due to start of a medical college, the students of the 1946 batch had to demonstrate on the roads for about seven to eight months, under the leadership of Dr.Dubey, Dr.Tiwari and Dr.Rangilal, the then Civil surgeon at Mayo hospital, Nagpur. The then chief minister Shri Ravi Shanker Shukla was convinced about the problem and ultimately these 56 students were admitted to this medical college in 1947, and became the first batch of Medical College Nagpur.

 

In the beginning the college was started in the engineering School campus,Sadar. The pre-clinical classes used to be held in the same campus, while clinics were held in Mayo Hospital. An entrance examination was started in 1952 and the very next year it was abandoned .The degree course was of five years without an internship. It was divided in two years in Anatomy & physiology, Two years in Pathology, Pharmacology and Forensic medicine, while the final had Surgery, Ophthalmology & Gynecology. The internship was started from 1953 batch, and it was 9 months in district hospital and 9 months in village dispensaries. The teachers used to be very strict and had full attention over the behavior and regular and sincere work of the students.

 

The construction was started in full swing under the guidance of Lt.Col.A.N. Bose, Dr. Jiwaraj Mehta, Col.K.V. Kukdey,Architect Shri.D.G.Karajgaonkar and Sir Sobha singh as constructor and within a year the nurses hostel and present hostel no.1 building was ready for occupation in the year 1949 itself .In the beginning the hostel no.1 was boys hostel, while the lady students used to accommodated in nurses hostel. The students used to go to Sadar and for clinical postings in Mayo Hospital. The temporary barracks were constructed for the wards (present T.B. campus of GMC) and few wards were started in these barracks. The present new hospital building was ready and was inaugurated on 2nd October 1952,while the college building was ready in December, 1952 and was inaugurated by the first President of India, Hon'ble Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 27th March 1953and within few days all the departments started functioning in the present College building.